The Lean Green Bean

Friday, September 10, 2010

Donut Deception

Everyone pay attention to this one...this may be one of the best recipes I've ever baked! It's all the best parts of a donut, in a healthier muffin form!



I've been meaning to try this little gem for a while now and I finally remembered to buy jam at the grocery store so today was the day.

Jelly Donut Muffins
*my changes below, original recipe found here

1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I used a little less nutmeg and a little more cinnamon)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar (I only used 1/2 a cup)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk (Skim milk please)
Jam (I used raspberry)

Topping:
1/4 cup butter, melted (This is a ridiculous amount. I used less than 1 Tbsp)
1/3 cup sugar (I didn't measure these out, just poured some of each on a plate and mixed together)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon


 Directions
Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl:


In a small bowl, mix sugar, oil, milk and egg:




Add the liquid bowl to the flour mixture and stir until just combined- don't overmix!




Put a small spoonful of batter in the bottom of each muffin tin. Then add a teaspoon or so of jam/jelly to each one:




Top with another spoonful of batter. You might need to use a spoon to spread it all the way over the top:




I had JUST enough to make 12 muffins:




Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. When they come out of the oven, melt a little butter in a small dish and mix some cinnamon and sugar on a plate. 




Brush a muffin top with a light coat of butter, then dip into the cinnamon and sugar. The original recipe says to dunk in the butter but i think that's a little excessive!




Repeat with the rest of the muffins:




Enjoy!
--Lindsay--

****EDITOR'S NOTE: If I were making these again, I would skip the whole buttering step and just sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar on top prior to baking***

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home