The Lean Green Bean

Friday, September 10, 2010

Pre-Vacation Veggie Broth

Next week, the hubby and I are off to see my parents in The Big Apple (SO EXCITED!)...Anyways, I'm starting to clean out the fridge and trying to make sure we don't have a lot of stuff that's going to go bad while we're away. This made today a perfect day to make some veggie broth (I know I've told you about this before, but I promised pictures). So here we go:

Toss any veggies that you have laying around, especially those that are about to move past their prime, into a big pot. Don't worry about peeling...just wash and roughly chop.


Cover with water. If you're noticing some drops of oil, it's because I kinda forgot what I was doing and just automatically put my twirl of olive oil in the bottom of the pan- oh well!


Bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour or so. I usually add some fresh ground pepper, but it's hard to get the pepper to evenly distribute when I freeze it, so I season it more when I actually use it.


Set up a big strainer in the sink with a large bowl underneath it. Use a lade or spoon to get most of the vegetables  out.


Remove the vegetables from the strainer and CAREFULLY pour the remaining broth through the strainer into the bowl.

Once the broth has cooled, ladle into small ziploc bags and freeze until you're ready to use them:



*Bonus recipe:
In the continued spirit of cleaning out the fridge, I cooked up the second  pork tenderloin that I didn't use when I made the stuffed pork earlier this week. I sliced and cut it into large chunks and sauteed with some garlic and pepper until done. I diced up half of it further and used it to make some lettuce wraps for lunch. Just cut up some veggies and meat (if you desire), roll them up in some bibb lettuce leaves, top with some chili sauce and consume  :)


I'm freezing the rest to throw into a future recipe- perhaps the Black Bean & Sweet Potato chili that I will share with you at a later date :)


Enjoy!
--Lindsay--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home