The Lean Green Bean

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Reader Request: Pumkin & Peanut Butter Dog Treats!

Hi Friends-

My aunt Judy is an avid dog lover and she requested a homemade doggie treat recipe for her dog Isak. Since I was home alone today with these two characters:

 
I decided today would be the perfect day to try some out!

I looked at a bunch of recipes but ended up selecting this one because it included peanut butter AND pumpkin- both of which my dogs love.
*Original recipe found here, my changes below:

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin (only use pure pumpkin puree, not the pie filling...or use homemade pumpkin puree like I did!)
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I left this out)
  • water (I used about 1/2 a cup)
  • I didn't have quite enough pumpkin so I chopped up some matchstick carrots and added those in as well- another favorite)
Additional flour for rolling

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350° F. Place all ingredients in a bowl.

Stir until thoroughly combined. Add water as needed to combine the ingredients.
 


Roll out dough to 1/4" thickness and cut with dog cookie cutters. (I didn't have a dog cookie cutter so I used a juice glass)

 
Place cookies on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes (I baked mine for 25 to get them a little harder).

 
 
Leave in the oven to cool overnight. Or, cool completely on a wire rack before serving. (I like that it says serving, as if you're serving to a human)

 
That's Tucky chewing on one. They both inhaled their first and immediately begged for more. 
 


 
Overall these were pretty easy to make. I made about 70 one inch circles. The only downsides are the dough is kinda sticky so you need a lot of extra flour, and they don't smell the greatest while they're baking...mostly they just smell like cooking flour.

They should last for a week or two in a sealed container...although I'm sure mine will be  gone by the end of the weekend! I'm going to bring some for The Pad tonight when we have dinner at my in-laws. For those of you that don't know, The Pad is my in-laws Golden Retriever. His name is Max, but since I like calling animals names that end in "y", I started calling him Maxy...which always made me think of well, you know, maxi pads...so now I just call him The Pad! He loves it :) ALSO, he has GIANT paws (paddys) so it works both ways. He loves his nephews and will be so happy when they send him treats!


Enjoy!
--Lindsay--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home