Reader Request: Pumkin & Peanut Butter Dog Treats!
My aunt Judy is an avid dog lover and she requested a homemade doggie treat recipe for her dog Isak. Since I was home alone today with these two characters:
I looked at a bunch of recipes but ended up selecting this one because it included peanut butter AND pumpkin- both of which my dogs love.
*Original recipe found here, my changes below:
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin (only use pure pumpkin puree, not the pie filling...or use homemade pumpkin puree like I did!)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I left this out)
- water (I used about 1/2 a cup)
- I didn't have quite enough pumpkin so I chopped up some matchstick carrots and added those in as well- another favorite)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Place all ingredients in a bowl.
Stir until thoroughly combined. Add water as needed to combine the ingredients.
Roll out dough to 1/4" thickness and cut with dog cookie cutters. (I didn't have a dog cookie cutter so I used a juice glass)
That's Tucky chewing on one. They both inhaled their first and immediately begged for more.
Overall these were pretty easy to make. I made about 70 one inch circles. The only downsides are the dough is kinda sticky so you need a lot of extra flour, and they don't smell the greatest while they're baking...mostly they just smell like cooking flour.