The Lean Green Bean

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Rotel Skillet

Good Evening!

Here's another quick and easy recipe from our days of apartment living. We threw it together once when my mom was visiting and it quickly became a staple. However, I haven't made it in a while because we never seem to buy yellow rice and the kind that we always use is kinda high in sodium...I'm sure you could make this with white or brown rice but I have yet to deviate from this particular yellow kind.


Here's what you do:
Look for this lovely yellow package in the rice aisle of your grocery store. We used to buy it at Wal-Mart but I recently saw it at Meijer, which is part of what inspired me to make this dish! It's yellow rice with saffron. Good stuff.


To begin, cook the rice per the instructions on the package. While it's cooking, chop and saute an small onion and some garlic in a pan. Add some diced chicken and cook until the chicken is 165 degrees.




Drain off any juice from the pan and stir in a can of rotel (to cut down on sodium you could use fresh tomatoes or canned no-salt-added tomatoes and a fresh jalapeno). Also add some black beans and heat through.


When the rice is done cooking, add it to the skillet with the chicken. Also add a handful of mexican cheese and stir to combine until the cheese melts.


Plate and serve!






Also, I'm well aware that there are several names that would be much better suited for this dish than Rotel Skillet....but that's what we call it, so i'm passing it on to you :) This dish can also be made with whole chicken breasts instead of dicing them, or with pork chops.


In other news, another blog I read does a section on things she has bookmarked recently and I really liked the idea so I thought I would do the same for you. Here's some things I'm looking forward to trying:

Two stuffed squash recipes- one with meat and one without:
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Stuffed Acorn Squash with Turkey from Angela at Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat

Pumpkin Spice Latte from Adrianna at A Cozy Kitchen....if this really tastes like Starbucks, that would be AMAZING!

Stuffing Cups from Jessica at How Sweet It Is

Homemade Soft Pretzels from Jessica at The Novice Chef Blog

Sweet Potato Muffins also from Jessica  at How Sweet  It Is

Enjoy!
--Lindsay--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home