The Lean Green Bean

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Crockpot Cornbread

Hi Friends!

Today I'm going to blow your mind. Would you ever have guessed that this:


could come out of a crockpot?!?!?

Not I, my friends, not I. That thought had never even occurred to me until I came across this blog: A Year of Slow Cooking. It has some awesome recipes and I noticed this one immediately. So did my mother-in-law! So I figured I should give it a try. I just used the recipe on the back of the cornmeal container because that's what the original blogger did...but next time I will for sure use my Mimi's recipe because it is clearly the best ever. (Perhaps I'll introduce you to it around Thanksgiving...if you're lucky!)

So here are your ingredients:

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Quaker or Aunt Jemima enriched corn meal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites or 1 egg, beaten

Combine the dry ingredients, then add the wet:


Stir to combine. Grease your crockpot and pour in the mixture!


Cover and cook on high for an hour and a half or until a toothpick comes out clean. There it is, cooking away!


The original blog said 3.5 hours but I noticed mine was looking like this on one edge, so I checked it and it was done:


Next time I might try it on low to see what happens. The other edges didn't get burned. Remove and let cool. I had to cut it into quadrants to get it out of the pot.



So easy and so awesome...give it a try!!

Enjoy!
--Lindsay--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home