The Lean Green Bean

Thursday, September 23, 2010

We all live in some kind of submarine

Hi friends-

Allow me to preface this post by saying that I REALLY didn't feel like making dinner tonight. Getting back into the swing of school is tough, and for every item I cross off my to-do list, I seem to add three more. But I foraged on...we needed to fuel up for volleyball tonight! On the menu was subs- roasted veggie for me, meatball for the hubby. The best thing about this meal is that you can't really mess it up.



Start with the veggies. I sliced up some onion, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms and green pepper. I put them on a baking sheet with some foil, coated them with olive oil, seasoned them with pepper and McCormicks and threw them in the oven at 425. I didn't even set the timer...just stirred them around occasionally while I was making the meatballs:


Next up, the meatballs. What I love about meatballs is I never have to make them exactly the same way...and they still always turn out fine. I put some ground turkey in a bowl and added some chopped onion, garlic and mushrooms.


Then I added some breadcrumbs and seasoning and topped it all off with an egg. There's no real recipe here...just throw in whatever you have laying around and smush into ball form. And if they fall apart? So what...you've got some ground turkey and veggies which is what you started with originally. No harm done. Usually I put frozen spinach in mine, but I just couldn't muster up the energy to defrost any tonight. So I skipped it.



 Heat some oil in a skillet and drop the meatballs in one by one. Don't overcrowd the pan...I did mine in two batches. Once they have some color on the bottom, turn them over a couple of times to brown most of the outside. You could leave them in the pan but mine always take forever that way and you have to keep moving them around...so I usually finish mine in the oven...which is conveniently already preheated from the veggies.


Stop here and remove your veggies from the oven. Put them in a bowl, top with some balsamic vinegar and set aside. Alright...I know they're not as roasted as they could be, but I got tired of waiting...


Transfer the meatballs from the pan to the baking sheet and bake until they reach 165 degrees. Mine took about 30 minutes but they were kinda big.



Assembly: Top a sub bun with 3 meatballs. Add spaghetti sauce and mozzerella cheese!


Repeat with the veggies. I went with the open faced sandwich:



Ta-Da!!!

In other news...


Lindsay's Lunchbox: Today I had granola dippers, a pumpkin muffin and some carrots with hummus. I had a very nice pictures that showed the ingredients for granola dippers...but I can't find it anywhere. Perhaps I was imagining that I took it?! But I know I did...Anyways...to dip: Add some granola to some yogurt and stir. Break graham crackers into quadrants. Dip, scoop and enjoy!



And now for some things I'm loving in...Lindsay Loves:

-I bought myself a present (or three) today! Several of these little gems in all sorts of fun patterns- reusable snack bags that velco close, wipe clean and can be washed in the washing machine. Check out Etsy and search reusable snack and sandwich bags:


Everyone should also check out this amazing website: Faces of Beauty. It's an awesome idea and some of the stories are so inspiring!

And finally...what's not to love about these two characters?


Enjoy!
--Lindsay--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home