Apple, Bacon & Spinch Salad
So remember how I told you I've been drooling over this salad since Ali at Gimme Some Oven posted it last week???? Well, tonight I finally made it!
Apple Bacon Spinach Salad Recipe
- 4 cups baby spinach, well-washed and dried (I used a baby spinach & lettuce mix)
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and diced (I used turkey bacon)
- 2 apples, chopped (I sliced mine)
- quarter of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans (I used almond since I already had them and nuts are expensive!)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (I used the rest of the blue cheese crumbles from the buffalo mac & cheese)
- apple cider vinaigrette (see below for directions)
- I added cranberries!
Toss together first seven ingredients (or lay out as you wish).
Pretty simple right? Now, to make the apple cider vinaigrette:
Apple Cider Vinaigrette Recipe
* I halved all the ingredients so I wouldn't have so much leftover...my quantities are below
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey or agave nectar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- pinch cinnamon
Whisk all ingredients together. (Or pour in a tight-fitting jar and shake until combined.) Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
So...it turns out that this dressing was NOT a big hit. It tasted very oily, not very cidery and like it was missing an ingredient or two. Which is precisely why I didn't drizzle without tasting!
Instead, in our house, we'd recommend this:
My dad introduced us to this dressing a few years ago and it's been a staple in our fridge ever since. SO GOOD. Go buy some right now.
We also enjoyed some salmon and leftover rice. But the salad was the star!