The Lean Green Bean

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Curried Sweet Potato Soup

I used to hate this soup.


My mom made it all the time when we were growing up. I remember the smell of it, and watching her set up the blender right next to the stove so she could puree batches at a time. Some always spilled!

Now I love it. It's hearty and spicy and I can never eat a whole bowl at once, but it's a great dinner side or appetizer.

Here's what you need:

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 leeks- white and a little green
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 ribs celery finely chopped
1 ½ lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 Qt chicken broth
2 dashes cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
Plain yogurt and cilantro to garnish

Let's talk about leeks for a minute. They are big and funny looking and you shouldn't be intimidated by them. They have a mild onion taste. To use them: cut off almost the entire green top part and the weird hairy ends. Cut them in half lengthwise, then rinse thoroughly...fan through the layers where dirt and sand can collect to make sure they get clean.)







 So back to the soup:

1) In stock pot melt butter, add leeks, ginger and celery. Cook til wilted. 


2) Add sweet potatoes, curry and chicken stock. 

 

3) Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender. 


4) Puree the soup in batches in blender. Or use an immersion blender. Add cayenne pepper and garnishes if desired.

 
This makes a pretty big batch so I made a half batch tonight. I just cut all of the ingredients in half, except the curry powder because I like a lot in there. I'd recommend starting with less and adding more once it's cooked if you need some more kick!
Enjoy!
--Lindsay--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home