The Lean Green Bean

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Turkey Dumpling Soup


I hope you didn't throw away your bones, my friends...Turkey bones that is. They are a key ingredient in this soup. Go fish them out of the trash- I'll wait...

But for real, next time save them ok?

This soup is my grandma's recipe. My grandparents used to make the trip down to spend Thanksgiving with us when I was younger and grandma would always make this soup on Black Friday. Since I seem to be doing everything a day earlier this year, I made mine tonight.

Here's what you do:

1) Get a super (haha souper) big pot. I happen to have one that is ridiculously big. I don't even know where I got it. And this is about the only time of year I use it. But it sure does come in handy :)

2) Put the bones in the pot.


3) Cover the bones with water and add some carrots, celery, onion, parsley and black pepper.


4) Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and go busy yourself for 2 hours or so. Clean your house, take a nap, eat some leftovers, whatever... Give the mixture a stir every half hour or so.


5) By the time you're done, it'll be looking something like this, and that means it's done (Read: pretty much whenever you get tired of waiting)


6) Scoop out all the "stuff"


7) Strain if desired. You don't have to if you're sure you got all the bones out...but sometimes it's hard to tell and there might be some lurking. Also, those onions can be tricky to fish out! They're slippery little devils!


8) Return the broth to the pot

 
9) Chop up some more celery, carrots and onion and add them to the pot:




10) Then chop up some leftover turkey and add that too:

 
11) Now time for the dumplings:
Mix together 1 egg and enough milk to make one cup, 2 c flour, 1/2 tsp salt and anywhere from 1/2 tsp - 4 tsp baking powder. If you like firmer dumplings stick closer to 1/2-1 tsp, if you like softer dumplings add more. I couldn't decide how much to use so I went with 2 tsp because it was right in the middle and they turned out a little softer than the hubby and I like them...still good, just not as firm...so i've made a note in my recipe book and next year I'll use less.


Drop by the spoonful into the simmering soup. Note they will EXPAND so start small!



 
Let them simmer for 10 minutes, then put the lid on and let them simmer 10-20 minutes more
 


Ladle up a big bowlful and enjoy!


Like my reindeer bowls? We busted out our Christmas decorations today:





That's about 1/2 of them :)

Enjoy!
--Lindsay--

1 Comments:

Anonymous kcgrace said...

Lindsay,
This year I roasted all the bones for 2-3 hours or so before I started the soup. The roasted bones made a fantastic stock -darker and very flavorful..try it next time!
Love you!
Mom

November 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home