The Lean Green Bean

Monday, November 8, 2010

Crockpot French Dip

So today's crockpot adventure was a French Dip. I've finally confirmed that my crockpot is in fact on the fritz. It's getting waaaaay too hot, even on low. So even though I cooked this for only 4 hours instead of the recommended 7, it still got overcooked :( On the upside, the hubby said the flavor was good and it still tasted like a French Dip....so I can make it again and just shorten the cooking time even more! Or get a new crockpot....

If you'd like to give it a try, here's the recipe I used: Crockpot French Dip



Put the roast in the crockpot. Add one can of beef broth, one can of french onion soup and a bottle of beer:


 
Then this is what happened after 5 hours....a little shrinkage!:

Since I cooked in while we were sleeping, I stuck it in the fridge this morning and when we got home, the hubby sliced it up:

The fat will come to the top of the juice if you let it sit, so just crack your way through and scoop it off the top:


Warm up the meat and cheese, then place on a bun and pop them on the panini press for a while. Heat the juice in a separate dish for dipping:



Use your best judgment for the cooking time based on how your crockpot tends to run....I'd also recommend serving this right away instead of refrigerating it first. Just let the meat rest for 15 minutes or so before slicing!

Good luck!
--Lindsay--

1 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

oh my gosh! My husband LOVES french dip sandwiches. I am book marking this right now. Perfect for a football Sunday :) Maybe you will win our giveaway and be able to get a new crock pot!!

November 9, 2010 at 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home