The Lean Green Bean

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Baked Mini Donuts


Hi Friends-

Sooooo....short intro story. You know the old saying "You learn something new every day?" TOTALLY TRUE for me today. So I'm here to share it with you if an effort to keep someone from making the same mistake as me!

Here we go:

1) You cannot put as many pictures as you want onto your blog for free.
2) All of the pictures you put on your blog are stored in Picasa Web Albums.
3) If you use all of your free space, you cannot just delete your previously stored pictures because they will be deleted from your blog as well.
4) When you run out of free space, you have to pay for new space.
5) If you compress your picture files, it will take MUCH longer for you to run out of space.
6) When you compress your pictures, they upload MUCH faster!

Bottom line:
Compress your files, fill your free space slowly,  save your money!


Anyways, in other news...I made an exciting purchase today!


That's right- a mini doughnut pan! Some of my best childhood memories involve mini donoughts! I used to love getting them at the fair or when I went  to Mall of America. When I saw this post I knew I HAD to make them. But I wanted the doughnut shape, not just a "doughnut hole" per say. I did some research and found that I could procure a mini doughnut pan for only $10! SCORE!

After purchasing this pan, I tried really hard to resist the urge to use it tonight....but I couldn't. I decided to just try a basic recipe to start with.

I used this recipe for my first effort:

1/3 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 c. flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (I left this out)
1/2 c. milk
 
Cream butter and sugar; add beaten egg and mix well. Mix in dry ingredients and milk. 


 
Fill greased muffin tins 1/2 full. Bake 350 degrees, 20-30 minutes. (The batter was a little sticky so this was easier said than done. I baked mine for about 8 minutes because they were so small)


When I took them out of the oven, I melted some butter, brushed a little on the top and then dipped the tops in a cinnamon and sugar mixture.



The result? Not bad...but they don't really taste like your typical doughnut....they taste more like a coffeecake or something. Still delicious, but more tests must be done to determine if an oven baked doughnut can stand in for a regular one. 

Stay tuned!

Enjoy!
--Lindsay--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home