The Lean Green Bean

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Crockpot Applesauce


Hi Friends-

Today the hubby and I went apple picking! It's almost the end of apple picking season apparently and the first orchard we went to didn't even have any left on the trees. When we got to the second orchard, they only had one kind left- Goldrush. I'd never heard of the kind and I was pretty bummed out but we decided to get a small bag since we were already there. We headed out to the orchard, picked one off the tree and tasted it. It was quite good. So good, in fact, that my hubby walked ALL the way back to the entrance when I decided I needed a bigger bag! I love him.


When we finished picking, we headed to the big tent that sells the rest of the orchard goodies and I found the sign for the kind we picked. Perhaps we should have looked into this BEFORE we picked all of our apples, but what can I say...we like to live dangerously!


Sounds good to me!

We got some A TON of apples!! 69 to be exact and the boys enjoyed checking them out when we got home





I was feeling slightly overwhelmed with this giant bucket sitting on my counter so I immediately started on some crockpot applesauce! Here's what you do:

Gather your supplies:


Wash, core, peel and chop the apples and put them in the crockpot:




Add some lemon juice, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 Tbsp sugar and 1/2 c water and stir to combine:


 
All of the recipes I looked at online said to cook on low for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally and then mash with a potato masher or a fork. When I took the lid off to stir mine after 3 hours, the apples were all puffy like this:

 
and when I stirred them, a lot of them just fell apart. 
 
 
There were still some chunks so I let them cook for another half hour or so...then I spooned them into the tupperware and mashed the last few chunks with a fork!
 
 
 
Add more cinnamon or sugar if necessary!
Enjoy!!

Today in Lindsay Loves: Good Deals!

Paperback Swap- I have not tried this yet, but I have friends who use it and love it. Great idea if you have lots of books laying around that you've already read!

Groupon- Worth the daily email. Choose your city and get a daily deal each day. There are some junky ones, but every once and a while there's a real gem :) I'm using my  Gap groupon this weekend and I can't wait!! I paid $25 and got a $50 gift certificate!

Etsy- Awesome, handmade stuff...makes great presents!

Sale Mail- Pick your favorite designers, sizes and types of clothes...then get an email twice a week with what's on sale and where!

And on a random note...
Paper Flowers- I want to make one of these!
Paper Snowflakes- or these!

Dwelling Gawker- need decorating inspiration? I wish my house had cool stuff like this!

And finally....to feed your fall spirit:



 

Happy Saturday!
--Lindsay--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home