The Lean Green Bean

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread


Hi Friends-

The votes are in and as promised, I did some baking this weekend. The winner was whole wheat pumpkin bread so I gave it a try!

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread
*Original recipe here

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 2 cups packed brown sugar (I only used about  1 1/4 cups)
  • 3 cups canned pumpkin puree (I used a combination of my homemade puree and the rest of  the can I used yesterday)
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray. Stir together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.


Whisk together eggs, egg whites, brown sugar, pumpkin and oil in a separate bowl. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.




Turn the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the tops. **Sidenote:  I followed this recipe pretty much exactly, but all weekend I was thinking about how I wanted to add chocolate chips to this recipe...AND THEN I FORGOT! I remembered about 2 minutes after I put the loaves in the oven...so I took one out, poured in some dark chocolate chips, stirred them around a little bit, and threw it back in the oven! I left the other one alone :)  Also note, I'm not really into smoothing the tops!



Bake until the tops are golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. (Mine took about 45 minutes) Turn the loaves out onto the racks to cool completely.


 

One is fatter because it was in a silicone pan that expanded a little bit :)

The verdict? I can't give you the full verdict yet because it's still cooling but my first taste was pretty good. I'd probably add some cinnamon next time!

Enjoy!
--Lindsay--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home