The Lean Green Bean

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Cranberry Chicken Curry


Hi Friends!

Ever since we went out for Indian food and I made Naan, the hubby has been wanting more Indian food. Since I didn't make it to the grocery store today, I decided to try this recipe for Cranberry Chicken Curry. I had all the ingredients and it seemed easy enough.


Ingredients:
  • olive oil
  • 225g boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I have no idea how much this is...I used 4 breasts)
  • 1 tbsp curry powder (I added an extra 1/2 Tbsp)
  • 1/4 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 apple, diced (I peeled mine)
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (I left these out)
  • 1tsp ground cumin (I used 2 tsp of garam masala)
  • 1/8 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves (I left this out)
  • 2 cups canned diced tomatos, including juices
  • 1 tsp plain fat-free Greek yogurt (i left this out because it didn't seem worthwhile to open a whole container)
  • 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, chopped coarsely (i used more like one cup)
  • pinch of sea salt and black pepper
  • coarsely chopped cilantro, to garnish (skipped this too)
Directions:

Heat olive oil in skillet.  Chop the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and add them to the pan, sprinkling them with all of the curry powder.


Add in the onion, apple,  garam masala and ginger and cook some more.






Add in the cranberries. Since mine came from the freezer I defrosted the first batch...But the second batch I just chopped without thawing and that worked fine too.




 
Add the tomatoes, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until chicken is done.



Serve over rice.



The result? It was pretty good...but it wasn't nearly spicy enough...and I even added extra curry and some red pepper. We added extra to what was on our plates and I mixed some more into to the leftovers.

The best part of dinner were the curried roasted sweet potatoes that I made. Dice a sweet potato, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with curry powder and red pepper, toss to coat and roast at 425 for 40 minutes or so stirring occasionally. SO GOOD!



 
I'll leave you with some cuteness :)
Enjoy!
--Lindsay--

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you must know - I am ALLLLL over this!!! I love the idea of putting cranberries in chicken curry!

November 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean said...

yay! let me know how it goes :)

November 30, 2010 at 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home