The Lean Green Bean

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Everything Flatbread Crackers


Hi Friends!

So like I said on the facebook page (Have you liked The Lean Green Bean on Facebook?!), I was a baking machine yesterday!! I had no time to post about it so I'm playing catchup today. We were having some friends over for a little dinner party so I thought it'd be the perfect time to try out some new recipes.

First I made these Everything Flatbread Crackers that Jessica posted last week.

Here's the recipe:

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I didn't have this so I used 2 cups all purpose flour)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 ½ tablespoons cold butter
½ cup milk (I used skim)
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons minced onion (I didn't have this so I used onion powder)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sea salt (I left this out since both the onion and garlic powder had salt in them)
freshly cracked black pepper

Here's what you do:

Preheat oven to 350.
In a food processor, pulse flours, salt and sugar until combined. Add in cold butter and pulse until mixture is combined and the butter is in course crumbs. (I tried this, and it would be all well and good except my stupid fancy food processor never works unless everything is just right and I think the flour was getting under the blade. So I gave up and did it by hand in a bowl)


Stream in milk while pulsing the processor until the dough forms.

 
Form dough into a ball with your hands and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. (Note the dough doesn't form into a nice ball very easily. I had to add some extra milk to get everything to stick together)

 
After 30 minutes, flour surface and a rolling pin, and roll out dough until it is very thin. Gently lift dough and place it on a baking sheet. Don’t worry about it being a perfect rectangle. (I just rolled mine right on the baking sheet)



Beat egg in a small bowl, and brush onto dough. Sprinkle seasonings of choice on, then lightly press to make sure they adhere. (My egg wash may be a little thick but I realized after I started this that my handy spreading brush was in the dishwasher. Since I wasn't totally sure if opening the dishwasher mid-cycle would send water gushing out onto the floor, I decided not to risk it. I also resisted the urge to use an unused paint brush. Instead I used a spoon and it worked alright)


Bake for 5 minutes, rotate pan, and bake for 5 minute more. Check crackers and bake in 3 minute intervals until crisp and golden brown. Watch carefully as they can burn. (Mine took awhile. Probably 25 minutes or so by the time it was all said and done. Once the edges got pretty brown,  I broke them off and then put it back in so the middle could cook more)



Let cool and break into pieces. I served mine with cheese and everyone ate them right up!

 





Enjoy!
--Lindsay--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home