The Lean Green Bean

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Toffee Chocolate Squares


Hi Friends!

Lots to fill you in on today...so of course it's appropriate to start with dessert :)

These are my second attempt at a new "cookie". I chose them for my first blogger gift exchange. I was matched up with Danielle at All Things Yummy! Everyone go check out her blog. It's awesome!! When I asked her if she had any special requests, she told me...

"I love alllll baked goods so I'm sure whatever you make will be delicious. There is a special place in my heart for chocolate, nuts and coconut. Does that help?"

With this recipe, I covered two of the three! The original recipe can be found here on Framed, one of my favorite blogs.

Here's what you need:

12 graham crackers broken into squares
1 8 oz bag toffee pieces
1 1/2 cups roasted, salted almonds, roughly chopped (I used mixed nuts)
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips)
3/4 tsp sea salt (I used just a pinch...probably like 1/8th of a tsp)

Here's what you do:

Set the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick foil.

Lay the graham crackers on the baking sheet, touching each other. Sprinkle the toffee pieces and the chopped almonds evenly over the crackers. Set aside.






 
Combine the sugar and butter in a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for a few minutes, until the mixture has the consistency of a syrup. Remove from heat and pour over the graham crackers, trying to soak all of them. (It's kinda hard to spread around so just do your best!)





Bake for about 12 minutes until the top is bubbly. Remove and immediately sprinkle with the chocolate chips and sea salt.


 
 


 Let cool for about 10 minutes, and then use a pizza cutter to cut into 2 inch squares. Transfer the squares to a cooling rack.





THESE ARE SO GOOD!

I used some to make another cookie plate to take to class with me tomorrow:


And some are on there way out to Danielle! Along with a few other goodies :)

Enjoy!
--Lindsay

1 Comments:

Blogger AllThingsYummy said...

oh yay! I'm so excited. Can't wait to try them. Thank you!!!

December 6, 2010 at 1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home